Friday, December 9, 2011

Things in German

My German is still pretty bad after all these years.  I make an effort to watch German tv, listen to German radio and do everything myself.  I make doctors appoints, go shopping, read and answer letters in German.  I take sick Redgie to the vet in German.  I have taught kindergarten in German because even though I'm trying to teach five year olds English, unless I can give them instructions and ask them to stop hitting each other in German they aren't going to learn anything.  I ask for directions in German, go to the post office in German and talk to my in-laws in German.  I got my wrecked car towed in German, called the police in German and explained to the car dealership that I needed a rental car in German.  I chit chat with the nurses at the doctors office and go to the dentist in German.  I tell people I have no freaking idea what they're saying to me because my German is bad in German.

There are some things that I can't do in German. 

Like I can not be pregnant in German.  It's just too complicated and scary.  I mean the word 'placenta' is 'mother's cake' in German which is... ten times grosser?  Easy to remember?  One more of hundreds of new words I would have to learn to be pregnant in German?

So I decided that even though I need to learn more German, better German and all that, I absolutely refuse to have this pregnancy in German.  I have no idea what I'm doing anyway and why make it harder by throwing in a complicated language when I'm already tired and irritable most of the time?

One of my biggest problems was that I moved outside of Hamburg and I don't want to drive an hour to the big city to see a doctor.  I was so lucky to find both a doctor and a midwife within 10 minutes of my house who are willing to speak English. 

No comments:

Post a Comment